Pumpkin Blog

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Bat Mitzvah

12 years of challenge that turned into bliss. That should be the title of of Tamya's life. We celebrated Tamya's 12th birthday with friends here in Vancouver - we went bowling and had a Gelato cake. Tamya was the best bowler in the room and had such great time with people she loves and that love her for exactly who she is: Tamya.

I don't mean to brag, but if there is anything I feel I did right with Tamya it is raising her to love who she is. And she certainly is giving that love back to the world around her. She constantly talks about people she met and have left an impression on her. Family members abroad. Daycare teachers from 9 years ago. Friends and instructors from summer camp two years ago. She is connected to the world and to herself and every day I see her blossoming with that confidence of knowing it's great to be who you are.

It is acceptance that brings the best out of a person. True love is acceptance and this is the best gift we as parents can give our children.

This milestone in Tamya's life, and the fact that her challenges are so much less challenging on a daily basis inspires me to get back into blogging in the Pupmpkin Blog and help other parents with children with autism by sharing my own experiences of past and present. I may not be able to blog daily, but will do my best to blog at least once a week with posts that I hope are inspiring if not informative.

And on another note - I extend my deepest compassion to parents whose child has just been diagnozed or in the earliest diagnozing stages. This has been the most stressful, painful and difficult period in my life. I wish I had the knowledge and support I have now to get through what I have gone through at the time. So the least I can do is offer my help, specificallly to parents in Vancouver and the Lower Mainland in BC - simply because I'm close and know the system and how you can get the help you need, in the time when you need it most.

Feel free to email me or call me at (778) 863-0806.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 12:39 PM, Blogger Gina said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful daughter. I have a friend whose 4 year old is suspected to have austim. She seems to somewhat be in denial and is having a hard time coping. Your blog is so positive, yet real and informative.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home